Me & My Stitches

Me & My Stitches
Click on the picture to go to my website. These are 1 1/4" pendants.

Saturday, April 28, 2012

Farmer's Daughter?



I still haven't decided on a name for my non Farmer's Wife blocks.  I've had thoughts of Farmer's Daughter (because I am one!).  I'm doing good just keeping up on making the blocks - maybe a better name will come to me some day.  For some reason I had a heck of a time with these blocks - they just didn't go together like they should have, as you can see below.  Looks like a few of them will be taken apart and I'll try again.  I know I've said it before, but I do not like to trim.  I would rather cut the correct size, sew with 1/4" and have your block finished - no trimming!  So I think that's what messed me up on some of these - maybe I was supposed to trim and didn't.  Grrrr!  Anyway - don't look too close.



This block turned out very small...like 3 or 4" - I just read today that there were mistakes in the instructions...I wondered what in the world we were going to do with a small block!  Janet O added sashing, which I think is a marvelous idea, so I will do the same.

I was caught up for a minute!  Then on Wednesday, Randy gave us a bonus block, but I can handle being only one block behind.  I also need to catch up on my Cotton Club blocks that  I received in the mail last week.  Hopefully I can at least get them cut out this weekend.

You know that I rarely post without showing some kitty pictures.  It seems that they are normally of Callie and that is not because I play favorites - it's because she is the most mischievous of the three!  She's always got her nose in something or doing something silly.  These pictures will show why I now buy lint rollers by the case!

You will remember these boxes that came home with me from Primitive Gatherings.  I am slowly making my way through them - there were 3 and now there are two.  That means there has been SOME progress!  Callie seems to think that huge box of fabric is quite comfy.


 And it appears that this little doll bed is just her size, once she managed to move the doll out of her way.
 Now I'm off to work on a jewelry order and maybe, just maybe catch up on all my blocks.

Have a great weekend!

9 comments:

  1. Well, in spite of your warning, your blocks look great. I always love to see how classy they look in your color combo. But, yes, there is usually some trimming involved. You can adapt the cutting sizes to use your easy angle ruler and not have as much trimming. I do that sometimes. Just a warning for you--there needs to be trimming at every step along the way on the last Bonus Block you haven't made yet--even when you get the small triangles and HSTs sewn together into a larger triangle, before sewing it to the other large HST! (I just read back over that and I'm not sure it is very clear, but I don't know how else to say it.)
    Randy has corrected the cutting instructions for the block that is too small if you want to remake it--I did not. : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your blocks look great, Julie! A little flaw here and there will blend in with the quilting - I wouldn't worry! What would a day be without the entertainment from our pets!
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that your blocks look great Julie. Don't worry too much if they didn't come out quite straight. Believe me, some of mine didn't, but looked great when I put them in the quilt. I do have to admit though that I think I had three or four that were either too big or too small and I had to do them over again. If they're too small, you can always put a sashing around them and call it a day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry you have been getting frustrated with your blocks. They look great...you are too hard on yourself! Have you ever tried Eleanor Burns Flying Geese rulers? I love them! I know the sizes are limited and there is a bit of waste but your geese and star points turn out perfect everytime.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love Callie on the doll bed! Too funny!!!
    Love your blocks as well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. And that is *exactly* why I want a doll bed to display my mini/doll/cat quilts on!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The blocks are beautiful. I'm really loving the red/white/black... I know what you mean about wanting to cut and sew and press and be done, but nobody's perfect all the time. Give yourself an arm's length of slack! Great job. Gosh, I miss having a cat!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think one block behind is pretty daggum good! I am not only blocks behind on some things but whole quilts behind!! That means I printed out the patterns but never started ..... aaaggghhh

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm laughing at Callie on the doll bed. 2 years ago when my sister/family were visiting, we dug doll furniture out of the attic for 2 1/2 year old Emileigh to play with. Frito thought it was for his benefit and promptly curled up on the bed. Emileigh was rather disgusted with Frito, she isn't used to house rules - everything belongs to the cat! ~Ann

    ReplyDelete