Me & My Stitches

Me & My Stitches
Click on the picture to go to my website. These are 1 1/4" pendants.

Monday, January 9, 2012

Bow Ties Everywhere!

Are any of you making bow ties with Bonnie Hunter? This was her 2011 leader/ender challenge - she just continues to tempt us all with her ideas.  And how in the world does one woman get so much done?  I have refrained from a lot of her temptations, but for some reason the bow tie blocks seemed like a good idea, but not as a leader/ender because that just doesn't really work for me. If you haven't heard of this challenge (where have you been??) here is Bonnie's original post.  She is using cheddar as the "background" for her bow ties, but I wanted to make mine scrappy.  Every now and then when I want to take a little break from making jewelry, I go through scraps and cut the fabrics for these 3" (finished) blocks.  I have a small container of pieces on my sewing table so they are handy when I get in the mood to sew a little something.  Usually when I work on them, it seems like I sew about 20 blocks, then go back to jewelry.  I have a ziploc bag in my closet that I stuff the finished bow tie blocks in.

The idea was for this to be a year long project - and we are now six months into it, so Bonnie has asked that we link up to see how everyone is doing so far.  This of course, prompted me to get out the bag of bow ties.


I was really surprised when I counted them all - I have 318!!  That's surely enough to make something!  I want to get into EQ and try some different layouts.  And, I'm hoping when everyone links up that maybe I will get some ideas as well. I can't wait to see what everyone is doing with this. Be sure to visit the Quiltville blog to see all the links to everyone's bow ties. Thanks Bonnie, for another fun project!

Have a great day!

13 comments:

  1. Those look amazing!! I never jumped on the bow tie bandwagon. Are these the ones made with 2" squares for the outer part? How big is the little section in the middle?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The whole leaders and enders idea is fabulous. You will have plenty for a great, antique looking quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! 318!! That is wonderful!! I probably have 31:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've suddenly fallen in love with bowties and have plans to make loads with scraps.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are so cute. I'm sorely tempted to cut a bunch and dive in. Trying hard to resist.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have a lot done. I have only 180. Now I just need to stop and do some math to figure out how many I need to make for a quilt. Love what you have so far.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have a heap!! That is great Julie. I love them scrappy. This will make a great quilt. I resisted this challenge--so now I should go work on the one I didn't resist, my non-mystery, Sunset over the Men's Department. : )

    ReplyDelete
  8. Have fun playing with your blocks. Glad you have plenty to work with.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous blocks... love the scrappy look! I've not started this project but it is intriguing...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my!!! These are lovely my friend. Absolutely lovely. Makes my heart sing, sing, sing. This will be another fun fruit from your blog which I love.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Now thats a lot of bow ties!!! :):) Great Job!!! Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mountains of bowties! That's gonna be a big quilt, Julie! It's nice to do something different to jump start your creativity - sure works for me!
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your bowties! I also love your jewelry and ordered from your website. Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete