Me & My Stitches

Me & My Stitches
Click on the picture to go to my website. These are 1 1/4" pendants.

Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Visiting

Last weekend Mom and I made a quick trip to Naperville, IL and then on to Lafayette, IN.  Her stained glass distributor is in Naperville.  Of course, we had to hit a few quilt shops after that!  I didn't take any pictures (I know...what else is new!?) but we went to shops in Lisle, Batavia and Winfield.  Of course a few purchases jumped in the car at each stop!  Remember that HUGE 30's quilt?  Well, I bought border fabric for it - my SIL has decided that it will work for their house in Florida - so I'm getting it finished up.  By the time we finished shopping it was about 5:00.  Yes...rush hour traffic on Friday night around Chicago...BAD IDEA!  It was not fun - the traffic was just crazy - and I'm used to small town living (and driving)!  But, eventually we made it to Lafayette where we spent the night.  The next morning we found another quilt shop, then went to visit my Great Aunt Doris - who is 88 years old and is now living in a nursing home.  I haven't seen her for soooo long - it was wonderful to spend time with her again.  Mom went out and bought Aunt Doris' favorite kind of pizza and we sat and had lunch together.  We stayed with her for a few hours.  Such a great visit!  Here's a picture of the three of us...
After we left Aunt Doris we found another quilt shop - it was in an old church and was really neat.  The lady working there told us that there was a glass studio just down the road - we had actually passed it, and didn't notice!  So, we went back there and mom checked it out.  Unfortunately there was a bus (yes...a bus!) of people there on a tour - so she didn't get to spend as much time there are she would have liked.  After that we headed for home.  It was a looooong drive - I finally made it home about 10:00.  Lots of miles for just two days, but we had a good time!

The weather here really has been beautiful for the last month or so - just wish Fall could stay a little longer!  It is cold (about 35 degrees) this morning with rain and SNOW mixed in!  Brrrr!!!! 


Have a great day!!

8 comments:

  1. I'm glad you and your mom had such a great trip... I know your aunt was happy to spend some time with you both... esp since you brought her favorite pizza!

    *lol*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you are good at finding quilt shops.
    I can't imagine driving around in Chicago rush hour traffic. I have a hard enough time if I get stuck in the Salt Lake City area during rush hour--I would get crushed in Chicago!! I, too, am a small town girl (and driver).
    So nice to have had that time with your aunt. Good of you to take time for a nice visit--I'm sure it meant a lot to her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sure you made your aunt's MONTH by driving to visit her - sounds like you all had a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you enjoyed your visit with Great Aunt Doris.
    How fun to take a road trip with your Mom. Great picture of the 3 of you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What fun, Julie! Gosh - I know what you mean about small town driving - you deserve a medal (or at least some fat quarters) for getting through a Chicago rush hour for sure! I see the family resemblance, too! Your Aunt Doris must have been just tickled to have this visit (not to mention the pizza - lol)!!
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the photo of you three - your Aunt is beautiful - and you can see the kindness in her eyes....She must have been so happy to have you and your mum visit.

    We're in blizzard mode right now. Enough already!

    Smiles & Snowy Hugs ~ Robin

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fun trip (other than Chicago traffic - ugh - detest it myself) How nice to work a visit in with your aunt - I'm sure she was happy to see you both. ~Ann

    ReplyDelete
  8. What great times, so happy you had a nice visit with your Aunt, that meant a LOT to her too. I'm familiar with those places you visited, my BIL used to live in Naperville (we have lots of family in and around the Chicago area) and I lived in Lafayette once upon a time! Stay warm~

    ReplyDelete