Me & My Stitches

Me & My Stitches
Click on the picture to go to my website. These are 1 1/4" pendants.

Thursday, August 4, 2011

BOM, a new notion and a couple of cats!

On Monday I had another fun, squishy package in the mail (love them!) - it was my Civil War Chronicles, Month 8 from Primitive Gatherings.  I decided that I needed to be very productive yesterday and actually pieced them all.

There are four blocks again this month and not as many HSTs as usual.   They really didn't take long to put together, and I love the blue.

I remember reading a lot of blog posts after market that were talking about a new Pilot pen with disappearing ink.  There were rave reviews about this pen and that it is perfect for marking quilts.  The next time I was at Staples I found them...


I bought this 3 pack - I think the pack was around $6.  I tried them for the first time yesterday, and they work wonderfully!  I was finally quilting my banner for my booth - and just marked it using the black pen.  When I was finished quilting I just touched the lines with a hot iron and they disappeared!  Works great - and they are much less expensive than most of the markers that are made for quilting.  These are called Frixion by Pilot - give them a try!

I was going to end here, but it's just not the same without a cat picture.  This is a really bad pic (shocking...they are ALL bad pics when I take them!).  Two calicoes in the window.  How long do you think this lasted before someone (CC) threw a little hissy fit?  Yeah...about 3 seconds!


Have a great day!

15 comments:

  1. Looks like a trip to Staples will be on my list. I'm glad you tried the pens out and that they work. I'd never heard of them before your post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those blocks look really good. I'm guessing you have already noticed the lower left block, upper left corner--turned differently than the others? So, are you the "I'm leaving it that way" type or the "I've got to get that fixed" type? Just curious. For me it depends on how much unpicking I have already done and how much more it would take to fix it! I'm moody that way. : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Going out into the real world tomorrow for my weekly "run errands" day. Some days living in the country is good, others not so much. And the heat isn't helping! Anyway, Staples is on the list so I will have to check them out. Can't wait to see your banner.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic blocks!! Thanks for the tip on the pens. I need to find some of them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The blocks are stunning, Julie and your piecing, too! Glad to know the pens work - I bought them a while back but haven't tried them just yet! I can just see the mischief awaiting CC - LOL!
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. love the quilts and love the colors...cute photo of the kittys in the window...:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those blocks amaze me and made all in one day!! Thanks for the tip on the pens.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I bought one of those pens from my local quilt shop. I didn't think to look for them at an office supply store, so thanks for that tip. I'll just mention that the quilt shop owner told me to remove the marks with an iron, but that the chemical remains behind and will reappear when the temperature is 14 degrees F, or less. To make sure the marks don't come back, you need to immerse the fabric in water to completely wash away the chemicals.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We don't have a Staples around here. Do you think I could get these pens at Office Max or Office Depot? I may have to check them out tomorrow when I run my errands. Love your blocks. Hmm, looks like the kitties might be a touch too wide to sit on the window sill for very long. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  10. Now I will be trying to find a Staples around here! Great tip. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Okay, you know that I hate you because you have your blocks done, dont' you! LOL I am encouraged that there aren't as many HSTs this month. And that's good to hear the review on the pens. I've wanted to try them out and now I will.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ok....I give. What's an HST??? (You DO NOT want to know where my little cranky bird brain is going with it.....) Love the kitties in the window (how much are they??) ;o) Smiles & Hugs ~ Robin

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love those blocks!! You reminded me I need to get to Staples!! I saw these at Paulette's blog awhile back and just keep forgetting.

    Also...must comment on fun kitty photos!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for the tip about Staples, I think I NEED to buy some new pens!! And, yes, I always love the kitty pictures too!!

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  15. I need good pens, oh I am so excited...thank you! I am going to the city tomorrow and will look for them!

    ReplyDelete