Me & My Stitches

Me & My Stitches
Click on the picture to go to my website. These are 1 1/4" pendants.

Sunday, April 23, 2017

Memories!

 Did you have a good Easter?  We had a great day - the weather was beautiful, my husband cooked BBQ ribs and chicken, we had a few extra people - it just made for a great day!  The kids went fishing, took the paddle boat for a spin and drove the Gator around (until they ran out of gas - lol!).

Before Easter, I was reading one of my favorite blogs - Pots and Pins - are you familiar with it?  She posts about quilting and about food - she has some really great recipes.  She got really brave (in my opinion!) and made sugared eggs.  Now I don't know if you've ever heard of these, or seen them before, but I remember when I was really young, my brother and I each got one of these for Easter.  I wonder what ever happened to them. (Just talked to my mom - she thinks they eventually fell apart!) I remember being very intrigued by them, and didn't understand how in the heck they got all of that stuff inside! So when Nan posted about her crazy day of sugar eggs, it really took me down memory lane.  You will have to go and read the post - it's a great story - and if any of you are crazy enough to make them, she gives some good tips.  So...I commented on her blog about how her post brought back memories of my childhood (and I really wonder where that egg is!), and that I loved her eggs.  And guess what?  SHE SENT ME ONE!!!!  The package said it was from the Easter Bunny - made me chuckle.  Look how cute this is!
 Lots of little fun things inside...
 This is the top...

 The back...

 Does it bring any memories back for you?  Did/do you have one?  Have you ever made them?  I don't think it's something I would ever do (not enough patience!), but I sure am excited to have one!

Back to Easter!  I didn't take very many pictures but will show you the few that I have. And, I'm stealing some from my step-daughter's Facebook page - hopefully they will show up ok.

I had a good helper on Saturday - we made 25 parfaits!  I thought he took a picture of them all finished with my phone, but  he must have just posted it on Snapchat, so then of course, the picture disappears.  Boo!  But, here they are in the works.  Isaac was such great help, and we really had fun with it.  DH didn't have near as much fun, because he ran to town to pick up a few things and ended up having to go to WalMart THREE times!  Luckily, he was still in town every time we ran out of something (we got a little carried away!), but still - I would not have been happy if I had to go to WalMart three times in a week, let alone in one day!



Here's half the crew - doesn't this look like it could end in disaster?  That's a lot of crazy kids on one dock.  But all is well, Greg got them all set with the fishing poles and paddle boat, and they all had a good time.
Image may contain: 3 people, people standing, outdoor, nature and water

Cute little fisher girl 
Image may contain: 1 person, grass, outdoor and nature


Image may contain: one or more people, outdoor, nature and water

This makes me laugh - tons of Easter candy, and she's munching on raw asparagus!
Image may contain: 1 person, sitting

I stole this picture too - it was the Friday before Easter when they were getting ready to go to school!
Image may contain: 3 people, people standing

 This is my dad and Alaina.  She carries Jessica's dogs around everywhere she goes!

 This is after the party was over!  Yep...Alaina is still holding Jada!

And this is after the potty (haha - I crack myself up) is really over!  We never leave the lid up, but someone did, and obviously Ozzie felt the need to check it out.  I'm just glad he walked on the seat and didn't fall in!


Oh, and here is one finish.  You've seen it before, but it's got the binding on now and is the completely finished category!  The pattern and fabric are by Betsy Chutchian.  The pattern was in a magazine last year, and I ordered the kit from Betsy.  Love it!

Now I'm off to try to finish a baby quilt that should have been done 2 months ago!!  Have a great day!

8 comments:

  1. looks like a good time was had by all. I do remember my grandmother sending me one from Ohio about 60 yrs ago, I remember being fascinated on how she got all the little things inside. Now I'm fascinated on how she made it period.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosh--I do remember making sugar eggs! Unfortunately they were stored in a damp basement and melted and also infested with bugs--pretty gross! I love your quilt--it's wonderful! Congrats on your finish!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, Julie, have you ever written a post this long before?!? And so many pictures!! You go, girl!! LOL
    My MIL made sugar eggs when my girls were little--over 30 years ago--and gave one to us. We still have it. Then about 6 or 7 years ago my youngest son got one from his girlfriend. After they broke up he gave it to me to store and display with our first one. I do know where they are, but this year I did not take the time to get them out. And I will NEVER try making them myself. : ) The one you received is adorable. So sweet of her to send it to you!
    Looks like you had a full house and a full weekend. Glad no one ended up in the water unintentionally--including Ozzie!
    Oh, that is a gorgeous quilt. I can see why you wanted to make it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun time you all had,that easter egg is so cute.
    Lots of lovely pics,i love fishing too,hope you have a lovely day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not sure about the sugar eggs. I don't think I ever had one, but it sort of stirs up nostalgia for me too. So pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had not thought about those sugared eggs. I never had one but wished I had. Sweet, pretty things and so represented Easter time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Julie - I am missing your posts. Can you email me at LCNCCOOK@MSN.COM?
    Do you know anyone who makes large pin cushions for the wrist - need some for the large flower pins I use with loading my quilts on the long arm.
    Hope all is well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. reading old posts, I see you cat on the toilet, ours used to drink out of the toilet... learned from a rescue cat we got at the "pound".

    ReplyDelete