Me & My Stitches

Me & My Stitches
Click on the picture to go to my website. These are 1 1/4" pendants.

Saturday, May 18, 2013

Catching up

Wow - time just flies, doesn't it?  I can't believe it's already been a week since we were with The Crow girls in Omaha!  We had such a great time and learned a lot too.  I have to say that I was a bit skeptical about their applique technique, using glue sticks and a stapler, but...IT WORKS!  And...I am the proud owner of a new, long arm stapler (found on Amazon for only $13 and no shipping!)  The girls are so much fun, so creative and just an all around fun time.

I will go back and start from the beginning - I was trying to decide which quilts to take for the little trunk show that Lyn asked me to do.  Of course, Callie had to help.  I thought of packing her up and taking her along, but I don't think she would have liked our room mates.  Lyn from More Sew For You was kind enough to let us stay with her, and she has 3 adorable dogs.  I loved them all, but don't think that Callie would have shared that love!


 On Friday and Saturday the classes were at a hotel in Omaha, so we were set up there.  The Crows shared a wonderful trunk show with us on Saturday.  Here are just a few pictures.  I really do love each and every one of their quilts!





 And look at what one of the students gave me...a fun goody bag (can't call it a scrap bag - these were way bigger than scraps!).  These were from Susan - she has a pumpkin scissor fob that was broken and we fixed it for her - this was my thank you!  WOW!  You will definitely see some of these in future projects!

On Sunday the class was at Lyn's shop. The Crow Girls taught in the classroom downstairs(surrounded by all of their beautiful quilts!) and Missie and I had our things set up in the shop upstairs.  Here is a picture of the four of us after classes. From L-R - Crow Deidre, Missie, me, and Crow Leonie.  Have I mentioned how much fun they are!?  

 And here is  a pic of Missie and I upstairs - you can see her quilts and patterns and some shop samples.  I just love the quilt that she has her arm on - it's called Brookshire Star.  You can see all of Missie's patterns on her website - be sure to check out her punch needle coasters - they are also one of my favorites (I can't pick just one favorite - I love all of her patterns!).
Here is a picture of me and my little set up at Lyn's shop.  These displays are new - we made them using some old windows.

We had a great time and met some wonderful people.  Thanks again to everyone - Lyn and her husband for allowing us to invade their home, and for feeding us and taking such good care of us.  The Crow Girls for sharing all of their knowledge and expertise and beautiful quilts.  And to all of the class attendees for their kindness and friendship.  Make sure to read Missie's post too - you will find some funny sayings from The Crows that kept us laughing the entire time.

And the fun didn't stop there!  When I got home there was fun mail waiting for me!  You know how much I love fun mail!  A few weeks ago, I won a giveaway on The Patriotic Quilter blog.  I was so excited, because the giveaway was one of those little lights from IKEA - you know the ones - they have been all over blogland, but there are no IKEA stores in my state!  Well, as if the light itself was not enough - look at all of the fun stuff that was in the box with the light!
Now that's a lot of fun, quilty stuff!  What a great end to a fun weekend!

But the fun didn't end there!  The next day, Marty the Mail Lady came through for me again!  Another fun mail day!  A box from Aunt Nancy!  (You can tell how excited I was by all of my exclamation points!).  Look at all this stuff - I've always wanted to try these clips for binding, and now I will be able to - that is if I ever finish a quilt. And a little bit of chocolate will always brighten the day.
 She sent 2 little scrap bags - one from her and one with the batiks, from her friend Bev.  FUN!

Gosh, I just love fun mail.  After all that excitement, I have spent the week trying to catch up on everything.  I had several orders from Omaha that I've been working on, plus paperwork, sales tax (thank you to the state of Nebraska, who makes it much simpler than most states), a little cleaning, etc.  I'm trying to finish that quilt (you remember...the one my DH thinks is ugly) that's been on my design wall for far too long.  I've got a lot of ideas swimming around in my head for some new designs, so hopefully I will be able to work on that in the near future.  I've had a little glitch on my website that I've been dealing with most of the week - I think I've got it solved now.  And while I was at it, I added a bunch of new pieces of jewelry - so be sure to go take a look - there are new items in all of the categories - pins, pendants, earrings and scissor fobs. And now, I better get back to work!



Have a great weekend!


15 comments:

  1. What a fun post. Thanks for taking us along to your event!
    Love the window displays - very creative and WOW really shows off your pieces.
    LOVE the fobs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks like you had a fantastic time!! And I have never heard of a glue stick and stapler for applique. I'd like to know how you do that!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Had already read Missie's version of the trip and was waiting to hear what you had to say. I love the displays you made from windows--very clever and effective!
    Wow, you have had fun mail!! : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. i have the bits n pieces book its fun

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely experience, thanks for sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fabrics, quilts, classes, your wonderful creations, a Country Threads pattern, tools, and chocolate--definitely a post filled with everything good. Looks like you and everybody had a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It WAS a great weekend wasn't it!! So glad we could enjoy it together!,

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm out of breath just reading your post!!! What a whirlwind of a weekend you had! Clever use of the old window... and you're recycling too! Sure hope you have a large mailbox for all those goodies that come your way!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! What a great post. You look like you had a fantastic weekend, I can still feel your high. Glue and a stapler??? I can't even imagine using a stapler! Look at all that jewelry too. How in the world do you get it all done?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks like a great time was had. I'm intrigued by the applique method that uses staples. I must search for some info.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks wonderful!!
    I had to laugh when your cat sat in the suitcase with the quilts. Mine does the same thing! As soon as the luggage comes out she crawls in! They don't want to be left behind!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm SO glad Callie picked my favorite quilt of your to take with you! I even have your pattern! Looks like you had a fabulous time, too! Wish I had come home to so many goodies - but, wait - I got mine at Sample Spree! I just love how you display your jewelry, too!
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my goodness! What a fun post!! It looks like a great time with talented quilted- you included!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What fun, Julie! Loved seeing all the photos. And I LOVE the way you displayed your jewelry treasures on those window panes! So clever!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I was in NY when all this happened -glad you had great hospitality in Omaha.

    ReplyDelete